While we're all nervous about these uncertain times with COVID_19 it must be an even harder time for any of you that are expecting. Keeping yourself healthy during your pregnancy can be task enough, then throw in a once in a generation virus that we're all trying to doge to complicate things even more.
As health authorities keep you informed of how to avoid the coronavirus we can only offer tips on how to keep your legs feeling peachy :-)
Ways to Keep Your Legs Healthy During Pregnancy
- Avoid standing and sitting for prolonged periods. Remember, moving legs are healthier legs!
- Stay active. Frequent, moderate physical exercise (example: walking, swimming, hiking) is important to maintain healthy legs and helps you maintain an overall healthy lifestyle.
- Wear knee high compression socks. Compression stockings and socks help promote blood circulation by improving venous blood return back to the heart. They don't necessarily have to be medical grade but please consult with your GP as to the best pressure socks for you.
- When resting (at night or during the day), lie comfortably with your legs slightly elevated. (you can also wear your compression socks during this time.)
- Avoid extended exposure to heat from sunbathing, hot baths, or the sauna. Excessive heat will cause your veins to dilate and may induce swelling.
Graduated compression is the most effective way to prevent edema or swelling. It also alleviates leg pain and heaviness and contributes to prevent spider veins or varicose veins. When using knee high compression socks, the compression should be graduated, with the strongest pressure at the ankles and decreasing as it goes up the leg. When you discover the benefits and comfort of compression stockings during pregnancy, you may want to continue wearing them for years after, and your legs will thank you for their improved health. Our knee high compression stockings come with 2 gradient compression sizes 15-20 mmHg or 20-30 mmHg.
Wearing compression stockings for pregnancy prevents blood from pooling in the veins and reduces elevated heart rate in both mother and child.Additionally, knee high compression stockings may reduce the risk of varicose veins, phlebitis, and thrombosis. Compression for pregnancy also alleviates many common symptoms such as swollen feet and ankles or tired and achy legs.
On Trend Compression offer a wide range of medical compression stockings designed to help women’s leg health during pregrancy. Our stockings are available in several textures, funky designs and styles to match your needs.