Women who are pregnant are at a high risk for the development of a Deep Vein Thrombosis, known as DVT. Flight socks worn by travellers are very similar to compression socks for pregnancy. One reason is due to the increased blood volume at full term. Additionally, pregnancy causes hormonal changes that increase blood coagulability, a measure of how easily blood clots. The expanding uterus puts pressure on blood vessels, restricting blood flow from the legs and pelvis back to the heart. Slower blood flow increases the risk of Deep Vein Thrombosis. The risk continues during the post-partum period until the woman’s hormonal levels return to their pre-pregnancy state.
Ways to Keep Your Legs Healthy During Pregnancy
- Avoid standing and sitting for prolonged periods. Remember, moving legs are healthier legs!
- Stay active. Frequent, moderate physical exercise (example: walking, swimming, hiking) is important to maintain healthy legs and helps you maintain an overall healthy lifestyle.
- Wear medical grade compression socks. Compression stockings and socks help promote blood circulation by improving venous blood return back to the heart.
- When resting (at night or during the day), lie comfortably with your legs slightly elevated.
- Avoid extended exposure to heat from sunbathing, hot baths, or the sauna. Excessive heat will cause your veins to dilate and may induce swelling.
Clinical studies show that graduated compression stockings are beneficial and should be a mainstay in relieving symptoms of chronic venous insufficiency during pregnancy and the post partum period. Graduated compression is the most effective way to prevent edema or swelling. It also alleviates leg pain and heaviness and contributes to prevent spider veins or varicose veins. When using knee high compression socks, the compression should be graduated, with the strongest pressure at the ankles and decreasing as it goes up the leg. When you discover the benefits and comfort of compression stockings during pregnancy, you may want to continue wearing them for years after, and your legs will thank you for their improved health. Our knee high compression stockings come with 2 gradient compression sizes 15-20 mmHg or 20-30 mmHg.
Wearing compression stockings for pregnancy prevents blood from pooling in the veins and reduces elevated heart rate in both mother and child.Additionally, knee high compression stockings may reduce the risk of varicose veins, phlebitis, and thrombosis. Compression for pregnancy also alleviates many common symptoms such as swollen feet and ankles or tired and achy legs.
On Trend Compression offer a wide range of medical compression stockings designed to help women’s leg health during pregrancy. Our stockings are available in several textures, funky designs and styles to match your needs.